Healthy Food Guide Persian spiced beef with dates & cinnamon
PREP 10 min COOK 2 hr 30 min SERVES 4
- Cooking oil spray
- 400g lean braising steak, diced
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2tsp grated fresh ginger
- 2tsp sweet paprika
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 500g sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 50g dried dates, chopped
- 150g swiss chard, shredded
- 320g green beans, steamed, to serve
- Heat the oven to 160°C/fan 140°C/gas 3. Spray a large flameproof casserole dish (that has a lid) with oil and set over a high heat. Stir-fry the steak, in batches, for 2–3 min until browned. Transfer to a warmed plate and set aside.
- Return the casserole dish to a medium heat and spray with oil again. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 min or until soft. Add the garlic, ginger, paprika and cinnamon stick and cook, stirring, for 1 min more or until fragrant. Return the beef to the casserole dish along with the tomatoes and 250ml water. Stir and bring to the boil. Cover with the lid, then transfer to the oven and cook for 1 hr 30 min.
- Remove the casserole dish from the oven, add the sweet potatoes and dates, and a splash more water if it looks a bit dry, then cover again and bake for 30–45 min until the beef and sweet potatoes are tender.
- Take the casserole dish out of the oven and stir through the chard until wilted, then serve with the steamed green beans.
- 23.7g sugar
- 28g protein
- 9.4g fibre
- 7.2g fat
- 0.6g salt
- 2.7g saturates
- 118mg calcium
- 44.4g carbs
- 5.1mg iron
For more recipes like this visit the Healthy Food Guide website www.healthyfood.co.uk